Wednesday 29 April 2015

Drumstick leaves-Dal Curry/Muringayila-Parippu Curry

Muringayila is one of our favourite. My hubby likes muringayila in any form. We have a drumstick tree at the backyard of our home in Kerala and my mom used to make muringayila parippu curry quite often. Woww...mouth watering!!! My mom used to ask for my help to remove the leaves from the stem. As its a tedious task, I always try to give excuses. However I help her at times because I love this curry a lot. I love to mix this curry with rice&curd and any home made pickle. But after coming to Singapore, I thought I won't get this here, but to my surprise I got it from Mustafa. Now a days its a common item in the normal Indian grocery shops too.

Muringayila has got a lot of benefits. It acts as a very good digestion aid and it helps in proper metabolism.It helps the body to fight against germs and infections. It also controls and balance the sugar level. So diabetic people could have this regularly.

OK! Now I will post my method of preparing this curry which I learnt from my sweet mom....


















Ingredients
Toor Dal/Parippu – 1 cup
Drumstick leaves/Muringayila – 2 cups
Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
Water – 3 cups
Salt – as required

For grinding
Coconut -
Green Chillies – 3 nos
Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon
Shallots – 3

For tempering
Mustard seeds – ½ tea spoon
Dry Chilly – 2
Curry leaves – a few
Oil – as required

Method
Remove the drumstick leaves from the stem and wash a few times.
Pressure cook dal with 2 cups of water up to 3 whistles and low the fire for 5 minutes.
Add the cleaned drumstick leaves to the cooked dal.
Add 1 cup water, turmeric powder and salt to it.
Cover the pressure cooker (not tightly) and allow it to boil for 5-10 minutes
Meanwhile grind the ingredients except shallots listed ‘for grinding’ to a smooth paste. Now add shallots to the smooth paste and just beat once. (No need to grind shallots finely)
Add the grounded paste to the boiling mixture and let it cook for 5 minutes.
Heat oil and fry the ingredients listed ‘for tempering’ and pour it into the curry.
Serve the yummy Muringayila parippu curry with rice.






No comments:

Post a Comment