Monday 1 February 2016

Spicy Chilli Crab - Kerala style

I'm so happy to share this recipe. First thing, my son (Sonu) hugged me and said "Thank you Amma, the crab was super tasty". Secondly I tried crab recipe for the first time. We seldom eat crab as its quite a tedious job.
When I told my son I'm gonna try crab at home, he was not happy at first and said, "I won't eat it". The reason was, we went to a nearby seafood restaurant and ordered chilli crab. It was not up to the standard and it tasted slightly bitter. When I served the crab curry for lunch, he really enjoyed and commented. That was such a wonderful moment!!
Ingredients
Crabs – 4, cut and cleaned with shell
Onion – 2, sliced
Tomato – 1, chopped
Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
Chillies – 3, slitted
Curry leaves - a few
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
Pepper powder – ½ teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Water
Method
Heat oil in a pan and add sliced onions, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute until onion turns light brown. Add all the powders and mix well. Add tomatoes, salt and a little water. Cover the pan and cook until tomatoes are soft. Add vinegar and mix well. Now add cleaned crab pieces and more water if required. Cover and cook in a medium flame for 6 minutes. Uncover and stir gently so that the gravy coats well in the crab pieces. Cover and cook for a few more minutes. Serve with rice or appam.

No comments:

Post a Comment